Monday, April 6, 2009

Set up

Hello, all, obviously I'm still in process of setting this up so please bare with me. Let me give you a little background on my situation.

I was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma - NS, Stage IIA in July of '08. At
the time even though my wife and daughter both had health insurance, I did
not. I work for my family's small business and they do not offer "benefits"
such as health care, and I didn't think I could afford to pay for it yet.
Well, of course, it turned out I couldn't afford not to have it once the
bills started to arrive. It has been stressful enough just dealing with the
cancer and all that entails for anyone, but to go through it with no
insurance, has been doubly difficult. I am fortunate enough to have had
help from family and friends, but the total amount involved is so huge, it
hasn't paid for all of it. Now my credit has naken a nose dive; I'm hoping
we won't have to file for bankruptcy as I've heard so many have done in
similar circumstances. My wife, Theresa, and I have done our best to assure
our daughter, Madeleine, 11, that as she starts junior high (earlier this
year) she doesn't need to be concerned about Daddy's health. We tell her
I'll be just fine and not to worry, which is sort of "whistling in the dark"
for us. Also, this ordeal has introduced us to the best in our friends and
family, with their outpouring of generosity and love. It has restored our
faith in the goodness of most people that we may sometimes take for granted.

My first appointment for radiation treatment will be soon (I hope). I'll update as often as possible.
Rod

No comments:

Post a Comment